Financial, Legal, and Practical Help

Americans with Disabilities Act
Toll-Free ADA Information Line: Call to obtain answers to general and technical questions about the ADA and to order technical assistance materials.
Phone: (800) 514-0301
TDD: (800) 514-0383

The Federal Initiative to Increase Employment of People with Disabilities; the Presidential Taskforce on Employment of Adults with Disabilities; and Welfare-to-Work Grants (also on the NCDDR website listed below) can be directly accessed by the link below:

A Guide to Disability Rights Laws

Landay, David S. Be Prepared: The Complete Financial, Legal, and Practical Guide for Living with a Life-Challenging Condition.
New York: St. Martin's Press, 2002.

For those living with a chronic illness or disability, this is an excellent guide for coping with finances, taxes, legal issues, and more. The book includes a comprehensive resource list as well.

National Center for the Dissemination of Disability Research (NCDDR)
Southwest Educational Development Laboratory
211 East Seventh Street, Suite 448
Austin, Texas 78701-3253
Phone: (512) 476-6861
Toll-free: (800) 266-1832
Fax: (512) 476-2286

The NCDDR performs research, technical assistance and demonstration activities focusing on the dissemination and utilization of disability research funded by the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research (NIDRR).
    Their website offers a topical list of information including:
    • Assistive Technology
    • Community Integration
    • Diversity and Multiculturalism
    • Employment
    • Web Accessibility and Design
    • And more

National Council on Independent Living (NCIL)
1916 Wilson Blvd, Suite 209
Arlington, VA 22201
Phone: (703) 525-3406
TTY: (703) 525-4153
Toll Free: (877) 525-3400 (Voice/TTY)
Fax: (703) 525-3409

The NCIL advances independent living and the rights of people with disabilities through consumer-driven advocacy. Their website provides a "National Directory for Centers for Independent Living."

National Multiple Sclerosis Society's Government Relations Committees (GRC)
Phone: (800) FIGHT-MS (800-344-4867)

These committees are formed locally all throughout the United States. They monitor and advocate for legislation beneficial to the disability community on local, state, and federal levels. I enjoyed my time as a member of our local GRC, knowing we were taking action on issues that mattered greatly to the handicapped population. Check with the NMSS in your area for information on your local GRC.

The National Theatre Workshop of the Handicapped (NTWH)
New York Offices
535 Greenwich Street
New York, NY 10013
Phone: (212) 206-7789
Fax: (212) 206-0200

Maine Campus
P.O. Box 1138
Belfast, ME 04915
Phone: (207) 338-6894
Fax: (207) 338-6075


NTWH is a non-profit organization that provides the disabled community with the communication skills necessary to pursue a life in professional theatre and enhance their opportunities in the workplace.

President's Committee on Employment of People with Disabilities
Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP) under the Department of Labor
U.S. Department of Labor
200 Constitution Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20210
Phone: (202) 376-6200
TTY: (202) 376-6205
Toll-free: (866) ODEP-DOL (866-633-7365)
TTY toll-free: (877) 889-5627
Website (ODEP):

The following website is the direct link for the President's Committee on Employment of People with Disabilities:

Social Security Administration
Office of Public Inquiries
Windsor Park Building
6401 Security Blvd.
Baltimore, MD 21235
Phone: (800) 772-1213
TTY: (800) 325-0778

  • Social Security Disability Insurance (SSD): pays benefits to those who are disabled and meet certain medical criteria. Benefits are also paid to certain family members. You must qualify by having worked and paid into the social security system for a determined length of time.

  • Social Security Income (SSI): pays benefits based on financial need. Medical criteria for disability must be met.

Contact your local Social Security office to apply for benefits. You will find their listing in your telephone directory.

U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
P.O. Box 7033
Lawrence, Kansas 66044
Phone: (800) 669-4000
TTY: (800) 669-6820
Fax: (703) 997-4890
Email: Please include your zip code and/or city and state so that your email will be sent to the appropriate office.

If you are wondering how or if you should disclose your disability to your employer; if you are having difficulty obtaining appropriate accommodations from your employer; or if believe you are being discriminated against at your place of employment because of your disability or illness, please contact the EEOC. The website below may also answer some of your questions.

Federal Laws Prohibiting Job Discrimination: Questions and Answers

U.S. House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 224-3121
TTY: (202) 225-1904

Check the website or call the above numbers for contact information regarding your local representatives. On the website, you can find a bill and follow its progress through the legislative process; research a law; find employment information; and much more.

U.S. National Library of Medicine (MEDLINE)
U.S. National Library of Medicine
8600 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD 20894

NLM is the world's largest medical library.

U.S. Senate
Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Phone: (202) 224-3121
TTY: (202) 225-1904

Check the website or call the above numbers for contact information on your state's senators. The website is also an excellent way to track and research bills and lobbying disclosure information.

Vocational and Educational Services for Individuals with Disabilities (VESID)
New York State Education Department
Hempstead District Office
50 Clinton Street, Room 708
Hempstead, NY 11550
Phone: (516) 483-6510
TTY: (516) 483-6087
Fax: (516) 539-9851

VESID offers support and services to students with disabilities, as well as vocational rehabilitation programs and independent living services for the handicapped. Danielle received tuition and textbook reimbursement for college, technical equipment, and paid driving instruction! VESID has been a great blessing.

Contact your State Education Department or your State's office of Vocational Rehabilitation for programs offered in your State. They are listed in your local telephone book.

The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500
Phone Numbers:
Comments: (202) 456-1111
Switchboard: (202) 456-1414
Fax: (202) 456-2461
TTY/TDD: Comments: (202) 456-6213; Visitors Office: (202) 456-2121
E-Mail: President George W. Bush:
Vice President Richard Cheney:


Physical Disabilities | Mental Health | Single Parents
Sports and Recreation | Housing | Health Insurance
Transportation | Financial, Legal, and Practical Help

Images and Web Content ⓒ 2015 Zanina Jacinto
All Rights Reserved